The frustration of receiving a notification that an Airtag is detected nearby but you can’t find it is a common experience. When you receive notifications like these, you just have to tap on it and continue with the option to play sound. If the AirTag is near you, you can hear the sound and locate the AirTag.
In the era of smart technology, Apple’s AirTag has revolutionized in a way that helps us to keep track of our belongings. These tiny devices are designed to locate and secure personal items and have become integral to our daily lives.
Let’s talk about the practical steps to take when you are faced with the challenge of an undetectable Airtag, and you are unable to find it.
Why Do You Get The ‘Airtag Detected Near You’ Notification?
Receiving an “AirTag detected near you” notification typically occurs when your Apple device senses the presence of an AirTag in its proximity. This notification is a security feature installed by Apple to alert users if an unknown AirTag is moving with them. An AirTag that is within the range of your location tracking. AirTag could be of someone else who is in your vicinity. The goal of this feature is to prevent malicious use of AirTags for tracking people or belongings without their knowledge.
What Should You Do When You Can’t Find The Airtag That Has Been Detected?
When you get an alert of an AirTag being detected or found moving with you, this is what you need to do:
Check for the AirTag location
When you receive a notification indicating that your device has detected an AirTag or any other Find My Network accessory, you must try to locate it first. This is how you can check for the AirTag’s location:
- When the alert “AirTag Found Moving With You” or ‘An AirTag Has Been Detected’ pops up on your screen, tap on it and then tap on Continue.
- A map will open in the Find My app on your phone with red dots. These red dots indicate the location of the detected AirTag.
- On the app, you have the option to “Play Sound.” Tap on it, and you will be able to hear the alert noise if the AirTag is near you.
- Once the AirTag is located, you can swipe up on the item card on your phone and tap on ‘Pause safety alerts’ to stop receiving notifications.
What Should You Do If The Airtag Is Not Yours?
Sometimes, you abruptly receive a notification that ‘an unknown AirTag detected near you.’ This might make you a bit apprehensive, and rightly so, because it could be a matter of someone tracking you with an AirTag as well. Here is what you can do when you detect an unknown AirTag:
- When you receive the ‘unknown AirTag detected near you’ on your phone, tap on the notification.
- On the Find My app, track the location of the AirTag.
- You have the option of ‘Play Sound;’ tap on it, and a chiming sound will play.
- Follow the sound to locate the AirTag.
- If the AirTag is not yours, you can tap on ‘Learn about this AirTag’ and follow the instructions on the screen to learn more about the AirTag.
- You can also simply disable the AirTag so it can stop tracking you. Tap on ‘Instructions to Disable the AirTag and follow the instructions on your screen to disable the tracking. It will stop device tracking and alerts on your phone.
It’s possible that the Bluetooth item tracker is no longer with you if you are unable to play sound. In addition, if you received the alert overnight, its identifier may have changed in the morning. To verify that the item is traveling with you, Find My relies on the identifier. This means you will not be able to play a sound if the item is in the owner’s range and not yours.
Use Precision Finding
Precision finding is found in the Ultra-WideBand technology incorporated in the recent iPhone models, starting with the iPhone 11. This modified Bluetooth technology allows you to locate items with absolute precision and accuracy. If an AirTag is detected near you and you can’t find it, here’s how you can utilize UWB and precision finding to locate the item:
- Launch the Find My app on your device.
- Tap on items and then tap on the AirTag you want to locate.
- Now tap on ‘Find.’ If the precision finding is available in your region, the option should say Nearby.
- You will receive instructions on your screen through arrows guiding you toward the AirTag.
- You are supposed to follow the instructions, and when you are near the AirTag, you will receive a sound signal as feedback from your phone.
- Once you locate the AirTag, you can simply disable its location tracking from your phone.
How Do You Know That An Airtag Is Tracking You?
When someone is near an AirTag that is not connected to their Apple ID, Apple sends out alerts. These notifications are sent out when you move, the AirTag moves with you, and, most importantly, when your iPhone is awake.
You will receive an alert on your Apple device that reads, “AirTag Found With You,” if there is an unidentified AirTag tracking you. Apple will ask you to launch the Find My app on your iPhone, where you can find the AirTag and turn off the tracking by following the onscreen instructions.
The AirTag is a revolutionary device that has the potential to make lost belongings a thing of the past. A device through which losing things becomes impossible. Like every other device and technology, it has its own Users who sometimes experience difficulty in locating an AirTag. This guide will help you find practical ways to find the detected AirTag rather easily. Now, users can maximize the effectiveness of the AirTag and enjoy the benefits of seamless location tracking.
James Wilson is a seasoned tech enthusiast with a passion for all things Apple. With years of experience troubleshooting and fixing iPhone issues, he brings a wealth of knowledge to “My Tech Simply.” James’s dedication to helping iPhone users find simple and effective solutions shines through in his articles.