iMessage, Apple’s built-in messaging app for iPhone, iPad, and Mac. This app is different from other text messaging apps due to its reliance on active internet. Wondering what font iMessage uses and how to change it.
Well, here’s your answer, iMessage uses the San Francisco font as its default font, and you can not change it unless you are using a third-party app.
Changing the font in iMessage is not a built-in feature, as Apple does not provide users with the option to switch to a different font within the app settings. However, there are a few tricks that you can use to achieve a different look for your iMessage texts.
Below, I will guide you through changing the font in iMessage on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
What Font Does iMessage Use?
iMessage, which is Apple’s messaging app, uses a font called San Francisco by default. This font is designed to look clean and easy to read on iPhones, iPads, and Macs. It’s a modern type of font without fancy decorations, making it work well on the screens of your Apple devices.
So, when you’re texting or reading messages in iMessage, you’re looking at text that’s designed to be clear and easy to understand on your device’s screen.
Is it possible to change the font of iMessage?
The newest iOS and macOS versions from Apple don’t let you change the font in iMessage directly. The default font it uses is called San Francisco, and there aren’t built-in options to pick a different one in the app.
But if you really want a different font, you can always try using special keyboard apps from the App Store. Some of these keyboards offer various font styles that you can use when typing messages. Keep in mind, though, that if the person you’re messaging doesn’t have the same app or font, they might not see the special font on their end.
Another trick is to use formatting options within iMessage itself. You can make your text bold, italic, or underline, even change the size of the font even though it won’t change the actual font. It’s a way to add some visual flair using the default font.
But all and all, you most certainly can not change the font on iMessage without turning to any third-party app.
How To Make The Font Appear Bold In iMessage?
To make the font appear bold in iMessage, follow the steps below:
- On your Apple device, head over to settings.
- Once you are in settings, locate the display and brightness and tap on it.
- There you will see the option ‘Bold Text’ turn the toggle on for the font to appear bold.
Note: This setting is not only limited to iMessage but will apply to your entire device’s system.
How To Change The Font Size On iMessage?
To change the font size in iMessage, follow the steps below:
- On your iPhone or iPad, go to the device settings.
- In the settings, you will find the Display and Brightness option, tap on it.
- There you will see the Text Size option.
- When you tap on it, you will see a slider.
- Use that slider to adjust the size of the font you prefer.
Note: This change will apply to all of your device interfaces as well as applications.
How To Change The Font On iMessage Using A Third-Party App?
Since Apple itself does not allow you to change the font of its in-built application, that is, iMessage, you have to take the help of any reliable third-party app. To use the third-party app to change the font on iMessage, follow the steps below:
Download a Third-Party Keyboard App:
- Open the App Store on your iOS device and search for a third-party keyboard app that offers different font options.
- Follow the instructions to install and set up the third-party keyboard app on your device.
Enable the Third-Party Keyboard:
- Once the third-party app is installed, go to your device’s settings.
- Go to “General” and select “Keyboard.”
- Tap on “Keyboards” to view the list of keyboards installed on your device.
- Select “Add New Keyboard” and choose the third-party keyboard app you installed from the list.
Switch to the Third-Party Keyboard in iMessage:
- Open the Messages app on your iOS device.
- When composing a new message or replying to an existing conversation, tap the globe or smiley icon on the keyboard to make the new keyboard appear in the list of your active keyboards. This will allow you to select the third-party keyboard you installed.
Choose a Font and Compose your Message:
- Once you’ve switched to the third-party keyboard, find the font options within the keyboard app.
- Choose the desired font style you want to use for your message.
- Start composing your message using the selected font style within the third-party keyboard app.
Send the Message:
- After composing your message with the alternative font style, send the message as you normally would in iMessage.
To sum it up, iMessage usually uses the San Francisco font by default.
But if you want to change how your messages look, you can try using special keyboard apps, play around with the text formatting options, or you can try copy and paste text from different places as well.
These tricks let you personalize your messages and add your own style when chatting with friends and family. Just keep in mind that the way your text looks might not be the same for the person you’re talking to, so it’s good to be aware of that.
James Wilson is a seasoned tech enthusiast with a passion for all things Apple. With years of experience troubleshooting and fixing iPhone issues, he brings a wealth of knowledge to “My Tech Simply.” James’s dedication to helping iPhone users find simple and effective solutions shines through in his articles.